Friday 6 February 2015

Case Histories

Image sourced from here
I received this book as a Christmas present from my father in law several years ago. We were going to spend Christmas with him again last year, so I had to read this before I showed my face.

This book is about an ex-cop, ex-soldier, Jackson Brodie, now turned private detective. However we start with three cold cases that are then explored throughout the book.

I'm not sure really why there are three. As although all are explored a little, only one really gets a lot of attention. I would have probably suggested if I was the editor, that maybe only one was necessary and you could save the other two for other books. Mainly because I felt one story was given the majority of the time, with the other two shoved in as plot devices or afterthoughts.

I also felt that some of the pretty heavy themes in this book where just thrown in and never dealt with. I'm all for heavy in my books, but explore and deal with them. Don't shove in an issue in order to show how edgy you are or whatever and never deal with it. It's almost irresponsible authoring.

I'm not really sure why I was gifted it. I believe it was because it was read and enjoyed, so was passed on. Unfortunately I didn't really feel the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment